Thursday 29 October 2015

Filipino-Thai Palabok



I have been on a Southeast Asian flavor high lately. After satiating my Vietnamese Pho cravings, I now turn my gastronomic attention to Thai cuisine.  

My very first ever encounter with Thai food was during my College days at the University of Santo Tomas (UST), Manila. I remember this decent restaurant in Dapitan cor. Concepcion St, area... ah yes, S.R. Thai. (Thanks, Google!)

S.R. Thai serves traditional Thai dishes at reasonable prices. Some of my favorites from their menu are bagoong rice, pad thai, pandan chicken, and tom yum soup. 

It's been a while since I last eaten in that restaurant. If my memory serves me right, the last time was when our class gave this one professor (unanimously our favorite communications adviser) a farewell lunch treat. Incidentally, the restaurant was his top pick among the slew of food joints in the area. 

Anyway, I have always liked Thai food-- It is so aromatic. With this appreciation comes my obsession over wansuy/coriander/cilantro, which is a staple in most Thai dishes. It's actually an acquired taste for me. I hated it when I was a kid. I guess my 8-year old taste bud back then cannot get over wansuy's olfactory resemblance to a certain bug (as my dad succinctly puts it). But I have grown to love it. (I even dream about it sometimes. Haha).

So in my attempt to fuse Thai sensibilities in my Filipino palate, here's my take on the Pinoy classic Palabok (melding it with a Thai twist). 


The Recipe

Palabok noodles* [cooked according to package directions]
Tinapa** (Smoked Fish) [about a cup and a half, flaked]
Shrimps [about a cup, chopped]
Shrimp heads and shells [about a cup, pureed]
Fish sauce [1/4 cup]
Anato oil*** [1/4 cup]
Garlic [1 head, minced]
Onion [1 head, minced]
Chinese cabagge [1 whole, rough chopped, blanched]
Cilantro [a cup, chopped]
Spring Onions [a cup, chopped]
Celery [a cup, chopped]
Basil [half a cup]
Monggo Bean Sprouts [about 2 cups, blanched]
Salt and Pepper [to taste]
Flour [amount varies per sauce thickness desired]
Chicharon [about a cup, crushed]
Soup stock
Lemon juice [to taste]
Boiled egg [optional]

Directions

1.  In a pan, sautee garlic, onion, tinapa and shrimps. Add patis. Set Aside some for toppings
2. Deglaze with soup stock. Add celery and let broth boil. 
3. Season with salt and Pepper
4. To thicken sauce, stir in pre-mixed slurry of flour and water.
5. To assemble: Pour sauce over palabok noodles. Top with sauteed tinapa/shrimp meat, pre-blanched vegetables and chopped spices. Add crushed chicharon and squeeze in some lemon juice.    
6, Enjoooooooy! 



*A type of rice noodles used in the Philippines
**I used tinapang bangus (milkfish) from Bataan, Philippines
***Achuete-infused oil



No comments:

Post a Comment