Sunday 7 February 2016

Spicy Watercress and Mushroom Sir Fry




I recently visited Baguio City with my family to celebrate my sister's birthday. Baguio is one of my favorite places in the country not only because of its cold weather, but because of the plentitude of vegetables available there at cheap prices. 

One such example is the watercress, a water plant usually mixed in salads and soups. I bought a quarter of kilo for only Php 35--and that is a lot. The raw watercress tastes like arugula, turnip and kangkong combined. I can't quite put it precisely. 

Cooking watercress is a breeze. Just wash it properly and you are good to go.

Here's a simple recipe I did, mixing it with button mushrooms I also bought at a farmers market in Baguio. 

The Recipe

Watercress [1/4 kilo]
Button Mushrooms [1/8 kilo]
Garlic [Lots of it, around 10 cloves, minced]
Oyster Sauce [About 3 tablespoons]
Chili Flakes [Lots of it, too--the spicier, the better]


Directions

1. Sautee garlic in your favorite cooking oil. Don't brown the garlic or it will give a bitter taste.  
2. Add in the mushrooms and oyster sauce. 
3. Drop all the watercress. The plant will release its water content so no need to add more water. 
4. Sprinkle chili flakes. 
5. Season with salt and pepper to taste. That simple :) 











No comments:

Post a Comment